Tiziano Vecellio, c1511-12: Portrait of a Man in a Red Hat
The fabrics are cotton brocade and faux lynx, all hand sewn with cotton thread. While cotton was not used in northern Europe much, it was used in the Mediterranean area. The faux was a financial choice, but I was pretty pleased with this fur in look and feel. The fur is facing rather than lining (again the heat issue), but both methods were used in the past.
I love this fabric. I originally chose it for the look and the light weight. I’ve cut the fabric into four pieces—two backs and two sides. I used a backstitch on all seams and a hem stitch along the long hem.
I cut the fur from the back. That way the fur can be fluffed nicely. I cut three pieces, the back of the collar and long strips for the front. I used back stitching to attach the fur to the fabric, turning it inside out to hide the seams. I attached the collar to the body with box pleats. Pretty pleased with myself.
I wish I had had time to iron it as I believe it will fall better, particularly in the back, but I wanted to get this to you today and the pictures were taken in the middle of last night when Martin got home from work. Of course, it will probably look better over a fitting outfit rather than his work shirt!